Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
This baked macaroni and cheese may be the most versatile dish ever. Add in some red pepper for kick, any cheeses you like, add veggies like broccoli and chopped chicken and it’s a one-dish meal even. A traditional mac and cheese. Bake it with your favorite cheeses, veggies or meats for a one-dish wonder.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, shells or cavatappi
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (I like sharp cheddar and Swiss)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; add a generous sprinkling of salt the pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a skillet or pot large enough to hold the pasta when it’s done.
- Add the flour and stir over medium heat until the mixture is lightly browned; 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps and add the salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. About 6 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and whisk until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat.
- When the pasta is almost done but still firm, drain it and add to the sauce.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and bake in a greased 2 quart dish (or an 8×8 pan works pretty well) 40-45 minutes until browned and bubbly.
The thinner the dish, the less the bake time. I used a cast iron skillet and mine was done in 25 minutes. A thicker dish like a 2 quart casserole will take 40 minutes.
- Calories: 1846 cal
- Fat: 121g g
- Saturated Fat: 76g g
- Unsaturated Fat: 37g g
- Trans Fat: 2g g
- Sodium: 2822mg g
- Cholesterol: 368mg g
- Protein: 86g g
- Fiber: 3g g