Creamy tortellini with sweet potato and spinach recipe
Sweet potato cubes soften and melt into a creamy sauce, while spinach makes the final product even more substantial. Other greens can play here, too — just keep a little extra broth on hand if heartier leaves, like kale, soak up more liquid as they braise.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (about 3/4 to 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach or 1 large bunch spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the sweet potato cubes, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are just starting to soften.
- Uncover the skillet and add the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula to dissolve the browned bits. Add the spinach in handfuls, stirring until it wilts down, before adding more.
- Stir in the half-and-half, then cover once more and bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Uncover and stir in the tortellini. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tortellini are plump and cooked through.
- Serve immediately.