Shepherd’s Pie, also called Cottage Pie, is a meat pie with a mashed potato crust. A very economical dish made with ground beef, this is a very inexpensive dish to feed a family. Of course the low-carb version is slightly more given the cauliflower crust, but still economical nonetheless.
Keto and Gluten-Free Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 pound ground beef, I use 80/20, grass-fed
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the head of cauliflower and cut into florets. Set aside 1/2 cup, cut in extra tiny pieces, to be used later. Heat a large saucepan filled with water over medium high heat and drop in the cauliflower. Allow to boil for 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Drain all water from the pot. Add butter, sour cream and parsley flakes. Mash with a potato masher until all large chunks are gone. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- In a large skillet, add diced onion, chopped garlic and olive oil over medium heat. Cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant, taking care not to burn. Add in the ground beef and cook until the meat is browned throughout, using a spatula to break the meat into small pieces.
- Add in the carrots and extra cauliflower and cook for 4 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Stir in chicken stock, tomato paste and worchestershire. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce cooks down into the meat.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a small baking dish (I used a 5×7″ but whatever small dish you have would work fine). Grease the dish and spread the meat mixture into an even layer, coating the bottom of the pan.
- Top the meat mixture with the cauliflower mash mixture, spreading evenly so it coats the entire top layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the top crust turns a golden brown and is crispy at the edges. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- 6 Servings
- 280 calories, 28 grams fat, 6.4 grams carbohydrate, 3.5 grams dietary fiber, 2.9 grams net carbohydrate, 16.9 grams protein.
Leave a Reply