Salted Caramel, Chocolate and Peanut Cracker Stack Bars recipe
These fantastic potluck bars come from Patrice Hurd of Bemidji, Minnesota, who won the grand prize in our 2012 Best of the Midwest recipe contest. Patrice says they’re a twist on her grandmothers cracker bars. The bars cut beautifully and are loaded with salty-sweet-nutty-chocolately flavor.
Makes: 32 to 40 servings Prep: 30 mins Chill: 2 hrs
- 8 ounces rich rectangular crackers, such as Club crackers
- 3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (9 ounces)
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate pieces (9 ounces)
- 1/3 cup butterscotch-flavored pieces
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Arrange half of the crackers in a single layer over the bottom of the prepared pan. In a medium saucepan combine butter, honey, brown sugar, and cream. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Add graham cracker crumbs, reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook mixture for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of the sea salt.
- Pour half of the caramel mixture over the crackers in the prepared pan, spreading to cover. Sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups and peanuts. Pour remaining caramel over. Arrange remaining crackers in a single layer over the caramel, pushing slightly to secure.
- For topping, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and butterscotch pieces. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in peanut butter until smooth. Spread chocolate mixture over cracker layer; immediately sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Chill bars for 2 hours or until completely firm. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Cut into 32 or 40 squares.