Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
It’s all in the title. You don’t have to be a master baker to deliver a high quality chocolate cake for your next celebration.
Everyone loves a wedge of chocolate cake. This is an easy and foolproof recipe for delicious chocolate cake, surprisingly easy to make and perfect for any occasion or just a wanted treat! It’s ready in under an hour. Your search for the ultimate chocolate cake recipe ends here!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chocolate Glaze
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Chocolate shavings, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan; line bottom with wax paper. Butter paper; dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture alternating with sour cream, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Tap pan firmly on counter-top several times to force out large air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely (bottom side up). Set rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour glaze over; spread gently to coat entirely. Let stand until set. Garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve with whipped cream and enjoy your chocolate cake!