French Onion Soup Melt Recipe
Beautiful caramelized onions with melted cheese on it. Prepare French Onion Soup topped with Gruyere slices!
- Unsalted butter 2 Tbsp
- Yellow onions 2 thinly sliced into half-moons
- Kosher salt to taste
- Sugar Large pinch
- Beef stock ½ cup
- Thyme leaves 2 tsp
- Round white bread 4 slices Tuscan bread
- Canola oil 2 tsp
- Sliced or shaved gruyere 3 oz
Method of Preparation:
- In a large sauté pan melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the onion trying to make a layer.
- Sprinkle over generously with salt and large pinch sugar.
- Sauté over low heat until the onions are tender and caramelized, about 25 min. Remember to stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Now add beef stock with thyme and cook on medium until the beef is almost completely absorbed but still a little soupy.
- Preheat the broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Now brush 1 side of each bread slice with oil and season lightly with salt.
- Divide the Gruyere slices among the un-oiled sides of the bread.
- Top 2 of the slices with the onion mixture.
- Put the bread slices on the aluminum foil and broil until the cheese melts, approximately 3 minutes.
- To serve, top the onion slices with plain cheese slices.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 30 min