King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
We bet that after one taste of this rich, creamy King Ranch casserole recipe, you’ll be hooked too. It also travels well, making it a great choice to take to a covered-dish dinner.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- parsley for garnish
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and next 7 ingredients; remove from heat.
- Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third of tortilla pieces in bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with one-third of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.
Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake as directed.