/ in Healthy Recipes,Recipes
/ tags Healthy Recipes, recipes
Basil Healthy Recipes: Spinach-Basil Green Minestrone Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thick cut nitrate/nitrate-free prosciutto, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 16oz cannellini beans (or other white bean)
- 16oz garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mini penne pasta (or wheat-free pasta of your choice)
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 ounces spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped, or chard
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (or parsley)
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add oil and prosciutto. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add onions, celery, garlic, zucchini, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add white beans, garbanzo beans, and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and green beans and cook for 8 minutes, or until pasta is al dente (just tender). Stir in spinach to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir in cheese and serve in soup bowls. Top each serving with basil or parsley. Makes four servings.
Leave a Reply