Creamed Spinach Recipe
Creamed Spinach is everyone’s favorite side dish! This dish is simple but has tons of flavor and best of all, it’s ready in just minutes. I promise, this will be the only creamed spinach recipe you will ever need. This spinach is so silky and light that you won’t miss the cream. The crunchy bread crumb topping is a fantastic addition.
What makes this creamed spinach recipe a stand-out? It’s easy to make, full of flavor and reheats well!
Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 1 stick butter
- 24 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- nutmeg large pinch
- Wash and dry spinach if using fresh. Remove any tough stems and roughly chop.
- Saute the garlic and onions in the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Add the clove, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, until thick. Remove the clove.
- Stir in the spinach, and allow to cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Amount per serving
- Calories 369
- Total Fat 26.3g 34%
- Saturated Fat 16.4g 82%
- Cholesterol 70mg 23%
- Sodium 311mg 14%
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9g 11%
- Dietary Fiber 9.4g 34%
- Total Sugars 5.1g
- Protein 8.9g
% Daily Value*
Some tips for creamed spinach
- Instead of milk you can use heavy cream. Your taste buds will love it, but your jeans may not 😉
- I find fresh spinach to be milder and sweeter (stems removed and chopped), although you can use frozen in this recipe too. If you’d prefer to use frozen spinach, just defrost and squeeze out as much water as you can. If you use fresh spinach, you need to steam it or cook it down until it’s the texture of cooked and thawed spinach.
- Nutmeg may seem like a dessert spice but you’ll love the flavor in this recipe.
- For four servings of spinach you will need 1.5lb (24oz) of fresh spinach. It will look like a huge mountain of spinach but it cooks down to a very small amount!
If you fancy spinach, you might like this tasty spinach recipes as well:
- Chicken Alfredo Spinach Lasagna Recipe
- Spinach-Basil Green Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Spinach Artichoke Cups
If you love this Creamed Spinach Recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share this recipe on facebook!
Leave a Reply